Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fish!

I made fish the other night...Oh, how I miss living on the coast and the easy, cheep and yummy fresh fish. Since being so far inland I used to just avoid fish, but in my longing for seafood I have ventured into the unknown world of fish buying and cooking, and surprisingly my kids and even my anti-fish husband seem to like it. I've developed a recipe that even works well with the fish that make their way up to Utah Territory. Here goes!

  • 2-3 fish fillets (I don't really worry about what kind, I just look for fish that is fresh, local, unfrozen, and without added color. When you buy fish cook it the same day.)
  • juice from 1 lemon
  • 1/4 cup of feta cheese
  • 1 package Italian dressing mix (I like Good Seasons)
  • 2 Tbs butter

At least 1 hour before baking, squeeze the lemon juice over the fish and return to the fridge. The lemon juice takes away much of the "fishy" taste that fish acquire from sitting. When you are ready to bake preheat the oven to 425. Grease your baking dish with butter. Place the fillets in the pan and add a little more lemon juice. Sprinkle the dressing mix over all the fillets. Sprinkle the cheese over the fillets, as much or as little as you like. Dot the top with butter. Bake for 7-10 minutes depending on the thickness or until the fish will flake away with a fork. Check often and try not to overcook as this will dry out the fish.

1 comment:

Kyla said...

I'm going to try this next week when the kids are back in school and I have ample time and energy. It sounds so good. Thanks!